Uterine fibroids are benign tumors of the smooth muscle of the uterus. They can protrude into the uterine cavity (subserosal), be located within the wall of the uterus (intramural) or protrude into the abdominal cavity (submucosal).
What are the symptoms of uterine fibroids?
- Abnormally heavy periods – often very heavy bleeding and/or bleeding between menstrual periods
- Severe pressure or pain
- Urinary or bowel complaints – sensations of pressure or incontinence
- Recurrent miscarriages
What causes uterine fibroids?
There are a couple of popular theories as to why fibroids develop:
- They are the result of an excess of estrogen, excess xenoestrogens, and/or unopposed or imbalanced estrogen relative to progesterone.
- They are a response to excessive inflammatory processes in the body.
- A newer theory is that these abnormal growths are a response to progesterone.
What is the natural medicine treatment for fibroids?
Naturopathic treatment is aimed at:
- Helping with liver detoxification of excess estrogen or estrogen-like compounds known as xenoestrogens using supplements that aid liver breakdown of these substances so that the body can excrete them. This involves specifics nutrients, in specific forms and specific quantities to allow healthy liver processing of waste, toxins and hormones.
- Balancing progesterone production using herbal medicine and nutrition. Maintaining health progesterone levels can balance out estrogen.
- Reducing systemic inflammation through proper diet, exercise and anti-inflammatory herbs.