Can’t Get to Sleep? Can’t Stay Asleep?
What is insomnia?
Insomnia typically refers to an inability to fall or remain asleep. This can cause problems for people during the day, as they may feel drowsy and have less energy, focus and concentration. If you suffer from insomnia, there are natural treatments for insomnia that can help.
Signs and Symptoms of Insomnia
- unable to fall or stay asleep
- don’t feel refreshed on waking
- feel tired/sleepy during the day
- feel worried or anxious about sleep, or lack thereof
- loss of concentration
- tossing and turning
- light, unrefreshing sleep
What Causes Insomnia?
- Stress or anxiety
- Unstable blood sugar or hypoglycemia
- Poor adrenal gland function
- Imbalanced sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system activity
- Vitamin/mineral deficiencies
- Stimulating evening activity (bright lights, vigorous exercise, video games, TV/movies, caffeine/sugar intake)
- Poor conditions for sleep (light, noise, temperature)
- Poor sleep habits (lack of routine, daytime napping, sleeping in)
Natural Treatment for Insomnia
Our naturopathic doctors and psychotherapists can put together a customized plan to treat your insomnia naturally.
- Diet modifications – don’t eat/drink or take anything stimulating prior to going to bed (eg caffeine, sugar, carbohydrates as they quickly turn to sugar, some botanicals like ginseng)
- Acupuncture – acupuncture can help rebalance the nervous system, calm anxiety and relieve stress
- Vitamins, minerals – darkness, vitamin B6, tryptophan and magnesium are crucial for healthy melatonin production.
- Botanicals – herbs can be used to calm the nervous system, relieve stress and anxiety, balance blood sugar and help you get to sleep and stay asleep
- Psychotherapy- if stress or anxiety is the source of your insomnia, psychotherapy may help address these issues
- Exercise – burning off your physical energy reserves during the day can make for better sleep at night. Try to exercise before 6 p.m. though so that your post exercise energy burst wears off before bedtime.
Natural Insomnia Treatment Research:
Acupuncture was found to be more effective in increasing sleep quality and daytime functioning as compared to sham acupuncture and estazolam administration. Source: Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, 2013 Sept 13.
Medication Side Effects
Beta-blockers were found to suppress night time melatonin secretion, which could be the reason insomnia is a common side effect. Source: Complementary Prescriptions Journal, Vol.27, Issue 3, Feb 2013.