How to Prevent Colds and Flus
Looking to waltz through cold and flu season unscathed and prevent colds and flus? Here are 5 tips to stay cold and flu free this year:
- Up your vitamin D intake. This time of year you want to be taking more than your usual dose of vitamin D to make up for shorter days and very little exposed skin to sunlight. A trip south may also help increase your vitamin D but also help fend of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Personally, I can’t wait for March Break and some warmth and sunshine.
- Cut food sensitivities out of your diet. How can your immune system fight off viruses if it’s busy fighting off your lunch? If you know you have a dairy sensitivity, avoid dairy. Ok, well maybe after the holiday parties are over.
- Eat more ginger – Ginger helps protect against viruses by blocking viral attachment and internalization. Ginger tea and curries are good ways to incorporate more ginger. There are lots of healthy ways to add some extra ginger to your diet on our recipe page: Gingerbread Cookie Tea, Apricot Ginger Chicken, and Ginger Pear Energy Bars are just a few.
- Reduce your intake of sugar sweetened beverages – pop, energy drinks, lattés, chocolate milk, fruit drinks, shakes, and anything else with added sugar. We know sugar suppresses the immune system for at least 3 hours after consumption. Drink this Cinnamon Chai, Gingerbread Cookie Tea, or New Year’s Resolution Smoothie instead.
- Drink green tea. Green tea is the perfect immune system boosting drink. Green tea contains a substance called epigallocatechin gallate, or EGCG. This substance can fight bacteria and prevent viruses from multiplying. Green Tea Cheesecake anyone?
Wanting more advice about how to prevent colds or flus, what to take or do if you get a cold or flu or what to do if you are feeling the first signs of a cold or flu? See one of our licensed naturopathic doctors today.
Want to know when to see a doctor about a cold or flu? Want to know what should be in your cold and flu prevention tool box? Download and save Dr. Pamela’s handy infographic here:
Looking for even more information about colds and flus, natural remedies for colds and flus, tips to stay healthy, herbal remedies for colds and flus, quizzes and immune system assessments? Purchase the full Cold and Flu ebook here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/595481